...ok bear with me if you saw the word 'cacao' and internally shuddered imagining chocolate mixed with black bean tacos.
These tacos are SO delicious and contain a small amount of cacao, which is a wonderful antioxidant (40 times the antioxidants of blueberries!), that increases the richness of this dish. What you might not know is that many Mexican dishes actually contain dark chocolate and cacao as a base ingredient! However, cacao is very different to milk chocolate or cocoa powder in that it doesn't taste sweet or leave your dinner tasting of a weird mix of mushrooms and chocolate (even I'm not game for that!).
I tested this recipe over the weekend and it got my boyfriend's stamp of approval too! I am a big fan of tasting as I go and adding extra spices depending on my mood so I urge you to do the same, depending on how spicy you like your food. Below is my recipe which is medium level spicy.
Let me know what you think and if you give them a go yourself.
VEGAN TACOS & SAUCE
Ingredients for the taco sauce:
- 1 red pepper
- Two cloves garlic
- 1/2 a red onion
- 1 red chilli
- 2 tsp Mexican chilli powder
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp paprika
- Pinch salt and pepper
- The juice of half a lime
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes
Method for the sauce:
- Roast the pepper, onion, chilli and garlic with some oil and 1tsp paprika for 10-15 minutes.
- Blend the roasted veg with the remaining ingredients and set aside.
- Some of the sauce will be fixed in with the filling, and the remainder is used as a garnish when the tacos are assembled.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 2 tins black beans
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tin sweet corn
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 green chilli (chopped - I kept the seeds in)
- 100g shiitake mushrooms (chopped)
- 100g white mushroom (chopped)
- 2tsp Mexican spices
- 1tsp chilli flakes (more or less depending on how spicy you like your food!)
- 1tsp cacao powder
- 1tsp maple syrup/coconut nectar/agave
- Taco shells of choice to add the filling to
Garnish (optional, add whatever you fancy):
- Spring onion
- Vegan mayo
- Taco sauce (recipe above)
- Extra chilli or jalapeños
- Squeeze of lime
- After making the taco sauce, start on the filling.
- Sauté garlic, green chilli & onion in oil with the Mexican spices.
- When the onion starts to soften, add in the mushrooms.
- Add in the cacao powder, chilli, other spices, salt and pepper
- Rinse the black beans and add to the mixture.
- Add in 10-12tbsp of the taco sauce to the mixture and let simmer for 10-15 mins, stirring every few minutes
- Taste to see if you want to add in any more spice or taco sauce, depending on preference
- Garnish with salad, lime, taco sauce, chilli, vegan mayo or whatever you fancy!