I LOVE Nutella but it is full of sugar, not to mention dairy (which I try to avoid), so I decided to make some vegan friendly hazelnut and cacao spread instead.
This recipe is from Deliciously Ella who I am a bit in love with. I have made so many of her recipes and keep going back to them again and again.
This Nutella spread was quite easy to make and tastes AMAZING! I say 'quite' easy because I don't have a proper food processor so couldn't get a bang on. I made do with my Nutribullet and handheld blender. Still tasted good but was more of a faff to get there!
- Two mugs of hazelnuts
- 1/2 mug of maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons raw cacoa powder
- 1/2 mug of filtered water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and bake the hazelnuts for 10 minutes.
- Once they are cool, blend them in a (strong!) food processor until completely broken up. I used my Nutribullet (milled blade option) and this did the job ok.
- Mix in the cacoa and maple syrup and blend again.
- When this is completely smooth, slowly add in the water and blend. For this stage I used a handheld blender as it was too much liquid for my Nutribullet!
And that’s it! I got a jar and a half from this. Had to stop myself eating it all before I poured it into jars…
Ideally you do need an actual food processor (note to self: must invest in one!) to get that proper smooth consistency.